The Best Vitamins and Supplements for Women in Their 30s, 40s, and 50s
No matter what your age, taking vitamins and supplements can help boost your nutrition. Depending on your diet, lifestyle, and age, some supplements may have more impact for you than others. Women in their 30s, 40s, and 50s have very different biological needs, even before you factor in your personal health goals. Let’s take a look at which vitamins and supplements are most important at different stages in your life.
The Best Vitamins and Supplements for Women in Their 30s
From a biological standpoint, women in their 30s are generally ready to have children. Folate is a key ingredient found in most prenatal vitamins and can reduce the risk of having a child with birth defects of the brain or spinal cord1.
Even if you aren’t planning to have children of your own, taking follate during these years can be beneficial to your health. Also known as vitamin B9, or folic acid in its synthetic form, folate helps to support your brain health and cell reproduction.
Women that don’t eat much meat, are pregnant, or have moderate to heavy menstrual cycles are at risk of iron deficiency. Low iron can cause fatigue, weakness, and dizziness. If you feel wiped out during your period, talk to your doctor about your iron needs.
3. Vitamin C and E
Vitamin C and vitamin E are powerful antioxidants that help support your skin. Vitamin C not only helps your immune system2, but it also helps with the creation of collagen. Vitamin C and vitamin E may even help you maintain the soft, youthful appearance of your skin as you age.
The Best Vitamins and Supplements for Women in Their 40s
1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Women in their 40s are entering the peri-menopause stage of their lives and start to experience things like hot flashes. Taking omega-3 fatty acids led to improvements in some menopausal symptoms, according to a study3. Omega-3s also support heart and brain health, which is important especially as you age.
2. Vitamin-B Complex
A vitamin b-complex is made up of 8 different vitamins: thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), vitamin B6, biotin (B7), vitamin B12, and folate. Each works together and on its own to support your mood, brain function, digestion, sleep4, and energy. B complex can also support your cardiovascular system5 and help maintain your hair, skin, and nail health.
The Best Vitamins and Supplements for Women in Their 50s
1. Vitamin D and Calcium
Turmeric is a yellow spice found commonly in Indian food, like curry, and has been used in traditional Indian medicine for hundreds of years. This powerful antioxidant has been shown to support joint7 and brain health8.
To make sure you are getting all the vitamins you need in your 50s, we recommend the NATURELO Multivitamin specifically formulated for woman over 50.
1. Folic Acid Helps Prevent Some Birth Defects, 2018 October 4
2. US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health: Vitamin C and Immune Function, 2017 Nov 3;9(11). pii: E1211. doi: 10.3390/nu9111211
3. Effects of ethyl-eicosapentaenoic acid omega-3 fatty acid supplementation on hot flashes and quality of life among middle-aged women: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial., 2009 Mar-Apr;16(2):357-66. doi: 10.1097/gme.0b013e3181865386
7. Curcuminoid treatment for knee osteoarthritis: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial, 2014 Nov;28(11):1625-31. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5174. Epub 2014 May 22
8. Curcumin for the treatment of major depression: a randomised, double-blind, placebo controlled study, 2014;167:368-75. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2014.06.001. Epub 2014 Jun 11