The Best Vitamins and Supplements for Women in Their 30s, 40s, and 50s
No matter your age, taking vitamins and supplements can help boost your nutrition. But with so many options, it can often feel overwhelming.
Depending on your diet, lifestyle, and age, some supplements can have distinct advantages over others.
Your body needs 13 vitamins and 16 minerals to function optimally. Women in their 30s, 40s, and 50s have very different biological needs - This is before you factor in your personal health goals.
Let’s take a look at which vitamins and supplements we think are priorities at various stages in your life:
The Best Vitamins and Supplements for Women in Their 30s
1. Folic Acid
From a biological standpoint, women in their 30s are generally ready to have children. It is a key ingredient found in most prenatal vitamins as it can possibly reduce the risk of having a child with birth defects of the brain or spinal cord1.
Even if you aren’t planning to have children of your own, taking folic acid during these years can be beneficial to your health. Also referred to as folate or vitamin B9, folic acid helps to support your brain health and cell reproduction.
Women that don’t consume enough meat, are pregnant, or have moderate to heavy menstrual cycles are at risk of iron deficiency. On the flip side, taking too much iron can cause things like vomiting and abdominal pain.
Make sure to talk to your doctor to determine your iron needs.
3. Vitamin C and E
Vitamin C and vitamin E may even help you maintain the soft, youthful appearance of your skin as you age.
The Best Vitamins and Supplements for Women in Their 40s
1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Women in their 40s are entering the peri-menopause stage of their lives and start to experience things like hot flashes. Taking omega-3 fatty acids led to improvements in depressive symptoms and reduced the frequency of hot flashes in menopausal women, according to a study3. It also supports heart and brain health, which is important especially as you age.
2. Vitamin-B Complex
A vitamin b-complex is made up of 8 different vitamins: thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), vitamin B6, biotin (B7), vitamin B12, and folic acid. Each works together and on its own to support your mood, digestion, sleep4, and energy. It can also support your cardiovascular system5 and help maintain your hair, skin, and nail health.
The Best Vitamins and Supplements for Women in Their 50s
1. Vitamin D and Calcium
Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium from food and promotes bone health. It’s equally as important to take a calcium supplement as it can health maintain healthy bones6.
Turmeric is a yellow spice found commonly in Indian food, like curry, and has been used in traditional Indian medicine for hundreds of years. This powerful antioxidant has been shown to support joint7 and brain health8.
To make sure you are getting all the vitamins you need in your 50s, we recommend the NATURELO Multivitamin specifically formulated for woman over 50.
1. Folic Acid Helps Prevent Some Birth Defects, 2018 October 4
2. US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health: Vitamin C and Immune Function, 2017 Nov 3;9(11). pii: E1211. doi: 10.3390/nu9111211
3. Effects of ethyl-eicosapentaenoic acid omega-3 fatty acid supplementation on hot flashes and quality of life among middle-aged women: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial., 2009 Mar-Apr;16(2):357-66. doi: 10.1097/gme.0b013e3181865386
7. Curcuminoid treatment for knee osteoarthritis: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial, 2014 Nov;28(11):1625-31. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5174. Epub 2014 May 22
8. Curcumin for the treatment of major depression: a randomised, double-blind, placebo controlled study, 2014;167:368-75. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2014.06.001. Epub 2014 Jun 11