Calm Mental Stress With These Nutrients and Herbs
Do you struggle with excessive worry and stress over common problems? Some natural herbs and supplements may help. Here are a few recommendations for natural remedies to help calm the mind and the nerves.
Magnesium deficiency is a common deficiency that often goes underdiagnosed. Magnesium can act as a natural remedy for stress and tension, as it relaxes the muscles and calms the nervous system4. Magnesium is also crucial for the release of the brain chemical GABA. GABA is necessary to promote relaxation and a feeling of stability. Most people that suffer from anxiety do not produce enough GABA in the brain.
Vitamin B12 belongs to the water-soluble B complex vitamin family, which plays a major role in regulating your moods and mental health. Studies show that Vitamin B12 supports cognitive health and performance, boosts energy and concentration, and helps your nervous system to function properly5. Vitamin B12 deficiency is fairly common, especially for older adults, vegans, and vegetarians.
Believe it or not, your gut health affects your brain chemistry. Your healthy gut bacteria helps produce important neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine and serotonin, which are essential for supporting a healthy, balanced mood. A recent study found that the probiotic strain Lactobacillus rhamnosus can help reduce mental stress and worry6.
Ashwagandha is an herb that has been used for thousands of years to treat stress and fatigue8. It helps regulate the stress response and reduce excess levels of the stress hormone cortisol. This not only supports a calm, balanced, upbeat mood, it helps condition the body, mind, and nervous system to be more resilient to stressors.
Reishi mushroom has been used in traditional Asian medicine for thousands of years to support a calm, clear mind. Reishi contains a compound called tripertene which is thought to support a balanced mood and better sleep.9 Reishi has been found to help support a healthy mood and sense of well-being in those struggling with nervous stress and fatigue.10
If you have been medically diagnosed with anxiety, or if you are taking any medications, you should always talk to your doctor before trying a new supplement. But if you are looking for support for everyday mental stress, these natural supplements may help .
5. The effect of methylated vitamin B complex on depressive and anxiety symptoms and quality of life in adults with depression, 2013 Jan 21;2013:621453. doi: 10.1155/2013/621453. Print 2013
6. The anxiolytic effect of probiotics: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the clinical and preclinical literature, 2018 Jun 20;13(6):e0199041. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0199041. eCollection 2018
7. Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders, 2015 Sep 4
9. “6 Mushrooms That Act As Turbo Shots for Your Immune System.” Healthline, April 2020.
10. Tang W, Gao Y, Chen G, Gao H, Dai X, Ye J, Chan E, Huang M, Zhou S. A randomized, double-blind and placebo-controlled study of a Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide extract in neurasthenia. J Med Food. 2005 Spring;8(1):53-8. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2005.8.53. PMID: 15857210.