The Science-Backed Benefits of Healthy Sleep
Many of us come home tired at the end of a long day and have one thing on our mind: hitting the sack. Getting a good night’s sleep feels fantastic, and it is something we should strive to do on a daily basis.
Of course, it's easier said than done. There are so many distractions in today's hyper-connected, fast-moving world, sometimes getting eight hours of uninterrupted sleep seems like more of a dream than a reality. In fact, the CDC reports1 that one out of every three Americans don't get enough sleep, resulting in the potential for physical and mental health problems.
We all have an internal clock that tells us when it's time to wake up or go to sleep. But we don't always listen to it, and sometimes our unhealthy habits can throw off our natural rhythm. We can help out our natural internal clock by preparing for bedtime with practices such as shutting off our screens and dimming the lights. This cues your body that it's nighttime and triggers to release of melatonin to help you settle down to sleep.
Here are just some of the reasons why it's so important to make sleep a priority:
Short-term Benefits of Sleep:
1. Problem Solving: Getting enough sleep at night keeps you attentive and alert. According to research2, it also helps you make better decisions by supporting memory performance.
2. Creativity: According to some experts, a good night’s sleep helps the brain fog to lift so you can take full advantage of your creativity.
3. Productivity: Say goodbye to your to do list by tapping into the energy3 you get from a good night’s sleep.
4. Performance: When you get more sleep at night, you tend to be more energized4 and are more accurate with physical activities.
Long-term Benefits of Sleep:
1. Lowers Stress Levels: Sleeping can affect your hormone levels, including your stress hormone. When you don't get enough sleep, it can even raise your blood pressure5
2. Strengthens Your Immune System: Your body produces cytokines while you are sleeping. They help to protect your body against bacteria and viruses. You might just find that sleeping seven hours per night is as close as you get to a cure
If you are having trouble getting sleep at night, we recommend trying our NATURELO Sleep Formula made with natural ingredients like valerian, chamomile, and melatonin, or our natural Melatonin Gummies, to help you fall asleep faster. Check out all of our other sleep, mood, and stress management supplements to help get your body back in the natural swing of things.
1. Prevalence of Healthy Sleep Duration among Adults — United States, February 19, 2016
2. Physiological Review: About Sleep's Role in Memory, 2013 Apr; 93(2): 681–766.
3. Sleep, Health and Wellness at Work: A Scoping Review, 2017 Nov 6
4. The effects of sleep extension on the athletic performance of collegiate basketball players., 2011 Jul 1;34(7):943-50. doi: 10.5665/SLEEP.1132
6. Sleep habits and susceptibility to the common cold., 2009 Jan 12;169(1):62-7. doi: 10.1001/archinternmed.2008.505